Geographic Information Systems Officer
Motivated Geomatics professional with 5 years of secondary education and 15 years of experience working in various roles for federal, provincial and municipal agencies and private industry. I work efficiently and creatively when gathering input from multiple sources, experienced with many forms of geospatial data and can easily create new cartographic outputs for various audiences. I handle concurrent projects and tasks through planning and time management techniques. I possess strong team-work competencies and see myself as a professional interested in supporting Canadian programs and services. I was awarded the Nova Scotia Transportation & Infrastructure Renewal “Carrick Award” in 2015 for going above and beyond regular duties.
Nova Scotia Lands Incorporated (NSLI)
GIS Officer 2017 – present
• I manage all mapping and information/data requests primarily using ArcGIS Desktop.
• I maintain all NSLI geospatial data, responsible for distribution via partnership with the Nova Scotia Geospatial Infrastructure as well as NSLI’s internal SharePoint Site.
• I support multiple business areas including land use planning for Harbourside Commercial Park and Port Mersey Commercial Park, Boat Harbour Remediation planning. I am also responsible for the development and administration of the NS Surplus Land Inventory Application.
Nova Scotia Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal (NSTIR)
GIS Officer (Maintenance & Operations) 2009 – 2017
Planning Technician (Road Safety) 2005 – 2009
• Experienced with fundamental GIS concepts including geodatabase design and maintenance, georeferencing, projection/datum transformations, data collection & analysis and SQL queries.
• I designed NSTIR’s ArcGIS Online Map Portal, web interface used to promote and communicate department business to our clients (http://nstir.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html).
• I developed the Road Maintenance Audit Tool for field maintenance staff data capture.
• I collaborated with Forestry Nova Scotia (FNS) on the expansion of provincial trucking routes. I coordinated data processing, monitored approval processes and presented status updates to NSTIR Directorate and FNS Board.
• I coordinated information sharing among ‘Blue Route” Active Transportation stakeholders. Responsible for integration and analysis of multiple spatial datasets and produced provincial route mapping for options analysis of future route development.
• Team member on a multi-year, multi-department data reconciliation project involving significant field data collection & analysis, province wide public consultations on road name changes and a field asset (road signs) replacement program.
• I supervised student interns on the development of a departmental GPS Coordinate Policy and on the creation of a provincial speed limit linear network from existing field asset data.
• I was responsible for providing training, hardware support and troubleshooting expertise to staff, students and contracted resources using the Trimble GEOXT, iPad and iPhone for field data collection.
• I gained extensive experience with computer systems including ESRI ArcGIS Suite, Spatial and Network Analyst extensions, Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe Illustrator and WordPerfect X4. I also have knowledge of other GIS software including Trimble Pathfinder Office, MapInfo, Hansen, MicroStation, QGIS, Intergraph, Idrisi and Envi.
Elections Canada (Ottawa, ON)
Geography Officer 2003 – 2005
• I maintained National Electoral Geodatabases and produced numerous electoral related mapping products to inform the voting public on the 2004 federal election.
• I followed established procedures using several pieces of software, at different stages of production, to complete various cartographic products.
• I provided services as a Special Voting Rules Agent during federal election supporting Canadians currently abroad with obtaining and submitting their ballots.
Intermap Technologies (Ottawa, ON)
Remote Sensing Technologist 2002 – 2003
• I edited 3-D earth models (digital surface models & digital terrain models) and created quality 3-D digital earth model products for clients. Main project I worked on was the mapping of Great Britain.
• Challenging digital production environment (Dark room, 3D visualization hardware).
• I supported other product teams and assisted in the delivery of other small projects.
Bryson Burke Diamond Inc. (Ottawa, ON)
Field Exploration Technician 2000 – 2002
• I produced all required exploratory area mapping including magnetic anomaly maps, site claim maps and borehole sampling maps.
• The nature of exploration activities and mining industry required strict confidentiality and acceptance of official non-disclosure agreements.
Nova Scotia Natural Resources (Stillwater, NS)
Forestry Technician Intern, Summer 1996
• Job shadowed daily activities under the direct supervision of Forestry, Wildlife and Enforcement Resource Officers. Responded to public requests for information and performed site visits.
• Performed unsupervised field survey exercises including harvest activity assessments and tree plantation monitoring. I also performed an aerial photo analysis identifying illegal campsite locations within a newly designated protected area.
Geographic Information Systems Technologist Diploma, Algonquin College (Ottawa, ON) June 200
Forestry Technician Diploma, Sir Sandford Fleming College (Lindsay, ON) June 1997
Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt 2018
Introduction to Web Cartography – I 2018
Introduction to Python: Absolute Beginner 2018
Canadian Firearm Certification & NS Hunter Safety 2017
Microsoft: Analyzing & Visualizing Data with Excel 2017
“Ride for Cancer” NSTIR Team Member – 100km Trail Ride 2016
“United Way” NSTIR Campaign Executive 2015