Ajoke R. Onojeghuo
GIS & Remote Sensing Specialist/Consultant
Ajoke R. Onojeghuo (Ph.D.)
GIS Consultant/ Data Scientist, 09/2017 to Current
JOLEXY Environmental Services – Edmonton, UK, Canada
· Requirement gathering to ensure that project deliverables meet client expectations
· Analysis of satellite data, soil and water samples, using R and visualization using Tableau
· Development of machine learning algorithms (Random Forest, Support Vector Machine and k-nearest neighbourhood) for image classification
· SQL queries in ArcGIS to subset classified satellite imagery
· Developed curriculum for teaching R and Power BI for Data Analytics and delivered lectures online
· Web scraping using rvest and RSelenium packages.
· Contributed to centralized GIS portal and ArcGIS database, correctly inputting data on the web and revising data on changing conditions
· Collected, compiled or integrated Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data, remote sensing or cartographic data for inclusion in map manuscripts
· GIS app development using ESRI Survey 123
· Leveraged skills in modelling, rendering and plotting to represent geospatial data using R and Illustrator visually
· Open source GIS analysis using QGIS
Senior Remote Sensing Specialist/Data Scientist, 11/2019 to 02/2022
Solstice Environmental Management – Edmonton, Canada
· Data Analytics and visualization using R (Ggplot2, Tidyverse, Leaflet, etc.) and Power BI
· Improved data collection methods by designing surveys
· Data collection app development using ArcGIS Survey 123, troubleshooting, and data cleaning
· Analysis of remotely sensed data using R, ArcGIS and Google Earth Engine
· Digital Soil mapping using remotely sensed Sentinel-2 data
· Geospatial analysis of wetlands data using QGIS
· Machine learning algorithm development for wetland mapping using remotely sensed data with a team
· Developed polished visualizations of data from ice core measurements showing climate change over a 1000-year period to simplify complex results
· Tested and validated wetland classification models for accuracy of predictions
· Website and social media management/ engagement to increase online user traffic
· Worked with stakeholders to develop grant proposals for indigenous communities
GIS Analyst / Data Scientist, 02/2018 to 10/2019
PLACE Research Lab, University of Alberta – Edmonton, Canada
· Developed requirements for application of GIS to mapping indoor play spaces.
· Digitizing existing layout maps of preschool centers for use in GIS
· Map production and editing using ArcGIS and Adobe Illustrator
· Contributed to centralized GIS records, creating and correctly inputting locational data on indoor play spaces
· Analysis and visualization of social behaviours using R (Ggplot2, Tidyverse, Leaflet, data.table, dplyr, etc.) and ArcGIS
· Created maps, charts and other images based on project-specific requirements.
· Providing geospatial perspectives and GIS solutions to public health problems, report writing and presentation of results to stakeholders
· Literature review on behavioural mapping and publication of findings in academic journal
Researcher /Teaching Assistant, 10/2013 to 09/2017
CLCR, University of – Leicester, UK
· Data interpolation and trend prediction using linear regression models in R
· Mining and restructuring complex satellite data stored as large tables (acquired at 15-minute intervals) using R and creating rasters
· Big data analysis of satellite imagery using parallel nodes on high-performance LINUX CentOS (clone of RedHat Enterprise Linux) computer
· Assisting in practical classes and providing unique coding solutions for data cleaning, modelling and machine learning in R/RSTUDIO to postgraduate researchers
· Collaborated with the research leadership team to identify relevant methods of air pollution data collection
· Geospatial analysis to determine pollution hotspots and causal factors in West Africa using remotely sensed soil moisture atmospheric pollution, and biomass burning data
· Numerical modelling of seasonal transport of atmospheric pollution from a variety of sources across Africa using the NAME model.
· Data analysis, visualization, and map production using raster, ggplot2, and lattice packages in R
· Presentation of results to stakeholders in formats suitable for diverse audiences at seminars and conferences
Technologist/ Assistant Lecturer, 06/2006 to 09/2017
Geoinformatics, Nnamdi Azikiwe University – Anambra, Nigeria
· Student advisor and results coordinator to undergraduate students
· Teaching remote sensing and GIS theory, Surveying/Geoinformatics practical classes and instrumentation using Leica total station and differential GPS to undergraduates.
· Demonstrating the use of GIS and remote sensing software (ArcMap/ArcGIS, IDRISI)
· Gully erosion mapping using IDRISI and ESRI ArcMap
· Teaching basic statistical analysis and programming with Visual Basic.
· Organizing departmental staff meetings and taking minutes.
University of Leicester – United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Geography (Science) – GIS, Remote Sensing
Master of Science, 09/2011
University of Salford – Manchester, UK, United Kingdom
GIS & the Environment
Bachelor of Science, Surveying & Geoinformatics, 08/2005
University of Lagos – Nigeria
Higher National Diploma (HND), Surveying & Geoinformatics, 06/2000
Federal School of Surveying – Oyo, Nigeria, Nigeria
Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate, 05/2022
Google/Coursera – Online
Data cleaning, problem-solving, critical thinking, data ethics, and data visualization (presentations, Spreadsheets, Google BigQuery, SQL, Tableau and R Programming/RMarkdown)
Power BI Data Analytics, 05/2021
Edureka – Online
Introduction to AWS for Non-Engineers: Cloud Concepts, Certificate, 01/2019
LinkedIn Learning – Online
The Data Scientist’s Toolbox, 07/2017
Coursera – Online
Big Data Foundations – Level 1, Certificate, 07/2017
IBM – Online
Hadoop Foundations – Level 1, 07/2017
IBM – Online
Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau, 07/2017
Coursera/Johns Hopkins University – Online
· Onojeghuo, A. O., Onojeghuo, A. R., Cotton, M., Potter, J., & Jones, B. (2021). Wetland mapping with multi-temporal sentinel-1 &-2 imagery (2017–2020) and LiDAR data in the grassland natural region of Alberta. GIScience & Remote Sensing, 1-23.
· Rasul, A., Ibrahim, S. A., Onojeghuo, A. R., & Balzter, H. (2020). A trend analysis of leaf area index and land surface temperature and their relationship from global to local scale. Land, 9(10), 388.
· Onojeghuo, A. R., Nykiforuk, C. I., Belon, A. P., & Hewes, J. (2019). Behavioral mapping of children’s physical activities and social behaviors in an indoor preschool facility: methodological challenges in revealing the influence of space in play. International journal of health geographics, 18(1), 1-16.
· Onojeghuo, A.O and Onojeghuo, A.R. (2017). Object-based habitat mapping using very high spatial resolution multispectral and hyperspectral imagery with LiDAR data. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, Vol. 59, 79–91 (Publisher: Elsevier).
· The Pomerance award for music excellence for contributions to music at the University of Leicester
· The Panache Award for contributions to music in the United Kingdom.
· Volunteered as the music director of the Leicester University Voices, UK
Experienced Data Analyst/GIS & Remote Sensing Specialist with over 15 years of experience in Academia and industry. Excellent reputation for resolving problems and tailoring analytical methods to client requirements.
Address : Edmonton, AB T5T 7L1 Address : Edmonton, AB T5T 7L1
Phone : 780-292-0031
Email : [email protected]
· Result-oriented and experienced Data Science, GIS & Remote Sensing Specialist.
· Hands-on experience using Excel, Tableau, SQL, R, (ggplot2, tidyverse, Rmarkdown, leaflet, knitr), Power BI, ArcGIS, and more for data analytics and visualization
· Good command of the English language and ability to relay technical results in simple terms
· Highly motivated manager with success in Academia, Industry and is known to work well with people of all ages comfortably
- curriculum development
- Data Science
- Geospatial analytics and visualization
- GIS & Remote Sensing