Website Urban Systems Ltd.
Our thriving Kamloops branch is currently looking for a capable and enthusiastic Geographical Information Systems (GIS) practitioner to join our team for a temporary position.
This temporary opportunity will involve a variety of experiences in many of our practice areas working with experienced GIS Professionals, Engineers, Planners, Environmental Professionals and technologists. As well, in keeping with our philosophy of “hands-on” learning and growth, you will be given as much freedom and responsibility as you demonstrate you can handle.
Typical duties may include:
• Create and maintain spatial and tabular information using a variety of software platforms
• Perform basic spatial analysis and geo-processing tasks
• Conduct spatial data editing/maintenance
• Scan, and file maps and other related plans
• Perform QA/QC tasks; refine data entry processes as required
• Research, acquire, and import data layers from several different sources
• Create maps and graphical materials for presentation
• Develop and maintain documentation and metadata in line with corporate standards.
• Actively support our municipal and Indigenous clients
• Assist with other GIS tasks as required.
Please note that we are flexible regarding this position’s start date and term length as our priority is to find the right candidate for this opportunity.
Our preferred candidate is either a recent grad or a student in between academic terms that was/is enrolled in a related GIS focused program and possesses the following skills, strengths, and interests:
• Passion and aptitude for applying technology to solve problems
• Effective communicator (both written and oral)
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to work closely with a diverse team of professionals
• Ability to work in both a team environment and independently on longer term projects
• Attention to detail and strong work ethic
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment
• Computer competency in Windows environment with a focus on Excel and file management
• Proficiency with a variety of GIS concepts, practices, and procedures
• Proficiency with the use of ArcGIS for Desktop and other spatial data tools
• Background or experience working in a related industry and environment is considered an asset but is not required
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of 400 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
• Challenging and interesting project opportunities
• A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
• The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
• Ongoing career development and learning
• Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: Friday, January 26, 2018.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://careersen-urban-systems.icims.com/jobs/1112/geographical-information-systems/job →