The City of Moncton is currently accepting applications for the position of Urban Planner with the Urban Planning Department.
The position reports directly to the Urban Planning Director.
The Urban Planner will be responsible for preparing land use planning and related projects, research studies, reports and analysis required to support the Urban Planning Department’s Development Control, Long Range Policy Planning and current Development Planning functions. The incumbent also serves as a Development Officer and will be responsible for responding to public inquiries on zoning related matters, processing complex development permit approvals, as well as issue Zoning Certificates (zoning confirmations and compliance letters).
The successful candidate must have the following minimum qualifications:
- High school graduate or GED equivalency.
- Must have a graduate or undergraduate degree in planning which is recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- Must be eligible to become a full member of the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- Candidates must possess a minimum of (3) three years of relevant experience, preferably working within a municipal government environment administrating Municipal Development Plans and Zoning By-laws, including by-law amendments; processing development permits, and Planning Advisory Committee applications; and zoning compliance and confirmation letters.
- The ability to communicate in both official languages is a requirement (English and French).
- Knowledge of planning legislation and ability to perform legislative planning functions associated with the Community Planning Act.
- Strong theoretical and practical understanding of community planning principles, methods and procedures is demonstrated.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal assistance. Ability to work with tight timelines.
- Awareness and understanding of current planning and development issues in the city is demonstrated.
- Understanding of Urban Planning Department’s policies, priorities, processes and procedures is demonstrated.
- Must have extensive knowledge of computers, spreadsheets, databases, word processing, Windows applications and e-mail. Example: Microsoft Outlook/Excel/Word/Power Point.
- Ability to utilize GIS Mapping program and data.
- Ability to initiate ideas and make sound judgments.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing. Good presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a customer-oriented and collaborative working environment.
- Ability to meet, consult and deal in confidence with municipal officials and business/industry.
- Ability to identify, analyze and resolve complex planning and development concerns and issues.
- This position will have significant impact on the image of the department and will have frequent contact with internal and external customers. Requires courtesy and diplomacy for exchanging information through calls from the general public, members of council, civic administration, media, heads of agencies, commissions, and local or national organizations. This position requires a high degree of discretion as matters of a confidential nature are dealt with regularly.
- Requires behavioural characteristics that reflect the best interest of the corporation and the community at large.
The Applicant must submit their application through the online system that can be found at: www.moncton.ca/employment or obtain an application in Human Resources at City Hall. To obtain more information, please contact Human Resources at (506) 877-7707.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.moncton.ca/employment →