Website Urban Systems Ltd.
Our Surrey branch is currently looking for a capable and enthusiastic Junior Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Technician to join our team. This position will play a key supporting role within our GIS Practice, providing cartography and GIS technical support primarily to our Transportation Practice, while also contributing broader GIS technical expertise to other Surrey practitioners and practice areas.
In this role, you can expect to be involved in the following types of project work:
- Creating basic maps to illustrate concepts and identify study areas and corridors
- Finding and preparing base information required for design
- Creating and maintaining spatial and tabular information using a variety of software platforms
- Performing basic spatial analysis and geo-processing tasks
- Conducting spatial data editing/maintenance
- Performing QA/QC tasks; refining data entry processes as required
- Researching, acquiring, and importing data layers from several different sources
- Creating maps and graphical materials for presentation
- Developing and maintaining documentation and metadata in line with corporate standards
- Assisting with other GIS tasks as required
Our preferred candidate has a GIS diploma and up to five years of professional GIS experience and possesses the following skills, strengths, and interests:
- Passion and aptitude for applying technology to solve problems
- Proficiency with a variety of GIS concepts, practices, and procedures
- Adept at using ArcGIS for Desktop and other spatial data tools
- Proficiency with GIS programming and scripting languages
- Solid understanding of ESRI software and technologies
- Demonstrated skills in spatial data management
- Solid understanding of cartographic principles and visual communication through mapping
- Strong sense of aesthetics
- Service oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 400 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
- Ongoing career development and learning;
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: Friday, June 22, 2018
To apply for this job please visit careersen-urban-systems.icims.com.