Req ID: 21770
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Number of Positions: 1
The position, under the supervision of the City Surveyor, will play an integral role in the CIty’s Asset Management Strategy. Candidates need a strong background in GIS, LiDAR and Asset Management. The position will develop standards to extract assets from raw field data and provide reports to asset owners within the City. This involves developing rigorous QA/QC methodologies and results. The position will build on existing skillsets to extract assets from point cloud data using the developed standards. The position will participate in the design and development the integration of asset data into the City’s Enterprise Asset Management system and the City’s Enterprise GIS system.
This position will be required to work in a hybrid work arrangement (some work from home and some work in the office) for an undetermined period. Once the City’s offices fully re-open, you will be required to work out of Mississauga City Hall at 300 City Centre Drive (possibly on a rotational basis).
GIS Analyst Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Performs all aspects of GIS/CAD activities associated with collecting, creating, managing, mapping, editing and analyzing spatial data.
- Develop, identify and perform rigorous Quality Control/Quality Assurance practices to evaluate existing and new asset inventory obtained from LiDAR point cloud data and applications.
- Learn new software in particular LiDAR point cloud processing software.
- Develop City Standards around processing data and using data for City purposes in particular using LiDAR point cloud data for Capital Works design projects.
- Contribute to the development of fundamental GIS data sets and to be the primary contact with external data providers for asset management.
- Identify client requirements and liaison with asset owners to ensure asset collection and maintenance is complete and documented.
- Ensures the technical development, access, deployment, programming, monitoring, and administrative support for the GIS and related applications.
- Acts as a project leader and Subject Matter Expert. Provides direction, guidance and solutions on the use of LiDAR data, GIS/CAD applications and analyses for process improvements, decision support, usability and accessibility.
- Address complex, high profile assignments and bring them from problem statement to final solution. Acts as a subject matter expert in multiple areas of GIS and complete any GIS assignment by drawing on past experience, researching solutions, gather requirements, identify clients pain points and communicating effectively with the client(s) and management.
- Coordinates third party activities, ensuring standards, policies and procedures are followed, monitoring compliance with requirements set out under the contract, maintaining records and providing reports on progress and issues.
GIS Analyst Skills and Qualifications
- Post secondary degree/diploma in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geography, computer science or related discipline and/or suitable equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- A GIS post-bachelors certificate/diploma is an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in GIS field with preferred experience in Asset Analysis, Asset Management and Quality Control.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge and experience in performing asset management functions in a municipal environment with specialties in the following areas; roads and highways, municipal infrastructure and Geographic Information Systems.
- In depth knowledge of LiDAR technology and its capability with respect to data collection, point coding and point cloud processing.
- Ability to create Dashboards in ESRI to show case data.
- Ability to problem solve, manage projects and lead teams, direct creation and gathering of data, employ data quality control, data modeling, application of GIS analysis methodologies, application development, testing, and training in an efficient and highly competent manner.
- Have demonstrated ability to encourage others to participate in joint efforts and promote the benefits of participating in an initiative or program.
- Demonstrates the highest level of professional courtesy in promoting interests of team efforts to further develop effective business relationships and conveys awareness and sensitivity to issues that affect others’ cooperation.
- Skilled in GIS map production, working with geoprocessing models, topology, spatial analysis, spatial database design, spatial database standards, systems integration and associated software, specifically ESRI, CAD (Microstation) & Microsoft products.
- Identifies and examines a broader range of details which are beyond the more obvious considerations or accepted sequences that also requires an increased reasoning or creativity to identify appropriate actions by determining information that includes unconventional and untapped sources.
- A Level 2- Criminal or Judicial Matters Check (previously Regular CRS) will be required of the successful candidate, as a condition of employment, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.mississauga.ca.