Type of Position: Support Full Time – Initiatives & Opportunities
Department: Centre for Sustainable Municipalities
Campus: Toronto – Generic
Location: Multiple Locations
Date Posted: 2018-09-20
Date Closed: Open until filled
Job ID: 1643
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Hours per Week: 35
Pay Band: I
Salary Range: $33.67 to $39.02 Hourly
Who Are We?
The Office of Applied Research (OAR) infuses applied research culture across Fleming College through education, seeking and acquiring funding opportunities, developing partnerships locally, provincially, nationally and internationally and advocating the value of research in an applied learning environment. Within the umbrella of the OAR is Fleming’s Centre for Alternative Wastewater Treatment (CAWT) which is an applied research institute that supports innovative water and wastewater technologies through R&D, testing and verification, and demonstration projects. The CAWT has expertise in a wide range of technologies and can host small experiments and pilots on site as well as monitoring full scale demonstrations in communities and in industrial settings in cooperation with partnerships provincially, nationally and internationally.
What This Position is About:
This is a 12-month “Initiatives & Opportunities” position (possibility of extension)
Working at our partner site based out of Mississauga, Ontario, the incumbent will lead the development work for the College’s advanced research projects including but not limited to Spatial Database and Web Application Development software by performing software development (primarily work on Geographical Information Systems (GIS)-based spatial database, Agile-based web application development and overall system integration and testing) between the industry partners and the client’s IT division with the purpose of prioritizing development tasks, challenging and clarifying business requirements and performing analysis, design and development.
The incumbent will provide functional, technical and business analysis support for the College’s use of GIS software by designing and developing requirements, and performing systems integration with third party applications.
This position will support the client departments by gaining an understanding of their business processes and system requirements through consultation. The incumbent will research solutions to meet these requirements that fit the priorities and resources of the College, and then promote and deploy these solutions. Solutions may involve deploying new solutions from the College vendor (currently Microsoft), in-house design and development of a new components, purchasing and integrating a third party application, or managing vendor contracted services.
The incumbent will support industry partner and client departments with product knowledge transfer by assisting in training, preparing training materials and researching product capabilities. Further support is provided by maintaining an awareness of current industry standards and assisting the College in evolving and developing information systems that can remain compatible with, and take advantage of, the developing trends in the information processing industry.
For More Information
For a complete job description, please visit our careers at Fleming webpage.
Explore what Fleming College has to offer and the beautiful communities we are surrounded by. Check out [email protected]
What We Are Looking For:
4-year degree in Computer Science, MIS, Application Development, System Programming or Geographical Information Systems
A minimum of 8 years of related experience, including experience with the following:
· Database reporting tools, advanced user-level knowledge of RDBMS, working with multiple systems and points of integration
· Expert-level knowledge of spreadsheets, databases and project planning tools
· Advanced experience programming / technical analysis in an GIS / Web Application Development environment
· Experience with the integration of multi-vendor hardware and software systems, networks, and client workstation configurations
· Previous project management experience
· Evaluating client needs, time estimates, identifying tasks (not delegating), determining priorities, tracking progress toward completion
· Previous experience defining functional requirements and identifying technical conflicts between systems during the development or integration of new business processes
· User acceptance testing. Developing definitions of acceptance criteria
· Previous experience evaluating and vetting risks associated with Information Technology system integrations under tight timelines including issues of data security, confidentiality, and reliability of data and information.
· Ability to communicate effectively with technical/non-technical users for the purposes of knowledge transfer, troubleshooting, and requirements gathering
· Proven experience with troubleshooting principles, methodologies and issue resolution techniques
· Development of procedural documentation/end-user reference materials
· Previous experience supporting technical and non-technical users in a PeopleSoft environment
Training / Presentations
· Experience in delivering technical presentations
· Development of business, functional and/or technical materials for presentation and training purposes
· Experience working independently in a customer-service focused team within a fast-paced business environment featuring critical deadlines, multiple projects and competing priorities
· Dealing with confidential and/or sensitive information
Please Note: Internal candidates will receive first consideration in accordance with our Support Staff Collective Agreement. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in joining the Fleming College family.
Diversity: Sir Sandford Fleming College is committed to building an inclusive and accessible learning and working environment. We believe in and promote the rights of all persons with disabilities as enshrined in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Ontario Human Rights Code, and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA 2005) and its related Accessibility Standards Regulations. To meet this commitment, Fleming College will make appropriate accommodations available throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform our Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require to ensure your equal participation.
To apply for this job please visit flemingcollege.ca.