Website Fleming College
Type of Position: Contract Faculty
Department: Centre for Sustainable Municipalities
Campus: Client Site
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Date Posted: 2018-07-25
Date Closed: Open until filled
Job ID: 1604
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Who Are We?
Fleming College’s Centre for Sustainable Municipalities (CSM) is an applied research institute that supports innovative infrastructure related technologies through R&D, testing and verification, and demonstration projects. The CSM has expertise in a wide range of technologies and can host small experiments and pilots on site as well as monitoring full scale demonstrations in communities and in industrial settings in cooperation with partnerships provincially, nationally and internationally.
What This Position is About:
This is a Sessional Non-Teaching Assignment for 11 Months; 35 hours per week
Working closely with an industry partner, this position, for the most part, will work from an office in Toronto, Ontario.
The Database Application Researcher position will focus primarily on R&D involving tools and applications that improve and automate field data collection, design and deployment of a cloud based data warehouse, and the development of tools and procedures necessary to enable server side processing, analytical results generation and database population. This role will be key in the design, development and deployment of the next generation pipe condition assessment analytics engine, on behalf of an industry partner.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Coordinates research projects by providing scientific leadership and consulting with internal and external authorities.
- Provides technical leadership for project proposals to potential project partners and sponsors (i.e. industrial clients or granting agencies). Specifically, this role works closely with an industry partner to integrate cloud based geographic information systems (GIS) with products, services and supporting functions and spatial database application development.
- Prepares designs, develops and tests models, implements research projects, and compiles and analyzes results. Develops tools and applications that improve and automate field data collection, design and deployment of a cloud based data warehouse, and the development of tools and procedures necessary to enable server side processing, analytical results generation and database population.
- Prepares project documentation, including progress reports and final detailed technical reports, as required, including supporting documentation on the use cases, tools and procedures.
- Publishes results of work in scientific journals, newsletters, annual reports, technical reports, and other publications. • Provides technical direction to students, technical and professional project staff.
- Maintains active professional contact with others engaged in related research at the provincial, national and/or international level, and keeps abreast with technological developments to identify new project opportunities.
Project specific duties will include:
- Lead focused development activities for the next generation of Condition Assessment application.
- Assist in the design and integration of the data repositories that will drive this new application.
- Development of detailed and documented use cases to support applicable User
- Interfaces and Application functionality
What We Are Looking For:
This role also requires strong communication skills both verbal and written. Advanced computer skills including use of Cloud based server environments. You have strong and proven capabilities to create complex SQL stored procedures. You have advanced knowledge of database design and implementation as well proven capabilities in data mining and disparate database server integration. You have strong Problem Solving skills to support case by case troubleshooting of data and technical issues related to database and application integration. You must enjoy a fast paced work environment and have strong time management and technical skills to address operational requirements effectively and in a timely fashion.
Your development experience in other programming languages such as C# and familiarity will the Agile development process will be an asset. In addition, working with various GIS and data formats, experience With Geocortex, including workflow development and experience in the Water Utilities industry is desirable.
Please Note: Resumes will be evaluated as they are received and only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. This competition will remain open until filled.
As per the post-secondary non-teaching academic rates. Hourly rate can range from $37.13 to $64.41 per hour. Rate will be based on relevant experience and post-secondary credentials.
Sir Sandford Fleming College is committed to building an inclusive and accessible learning and working environment. We believe in and promote the rights of all persons with disabilities as enshrined in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Ontario Human Rights Code, and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA 2005) and its related Accessibility Standards Regulations. To meet this commitment, Fleming College will make appropriate accommodations available throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform our Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require to ensure your equal participation.
To obtain a copy of this document in another format please e-mail [email protected]
To apply for this job please visit flemingcollege.ca.