Website Cuso International
Location Maxixe, Mozambique
Start Date May – Jul 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 9 Months
Language Requirements English, basic Portuguese or Spanish
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional to contribute to a regional nutrition project led by CARE Canada! The Southern Africa Nutrition Initiative (SANI) is working to improve the nutrition of women of reproductive age and children under five years old in Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia.
As a Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Officer, you bring strong technical expertise to the SANI team in Mozambique, working with colleagues to ensure that SANI builds local capacity to improve nutrition water and sanitation practices in target communities. This will involve working with colleagues to conduct situational analysis, sharing international and evidence-based best practices, developing and testing knowledge, attitude and practice tools to identify gaps in current sanitation and hygiene practices, and supporting the team to carry out the SANI WASH strategy in Mozambique. This includes a focus on the capacity assessment, training and mobilization of Water Point Committees at the local level.
You bring to this role a solid understanding of a Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) approach to implementation and the development of tools and resources, strong analytical skills, and an ability to work with a range of stakeholders using strong relationship building and facilitation skills.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Facilitate capacity building for project staff and key stakeholders in WASH and CLTS
- Support the SANI Mozambique WASH and CLTS strategy
- Document WASH and CLTS practices with team and partners
- Promote WASH marketing and hygiene behavior change components of the project
- Provide technical assistance to achieve all technical WASH outputs
- Ensure timely collection, compilation and analysis of quality data as well as production of reports on all SANI WASH activities
- Participate in meetings, training and other assessment/events as required
- Design or create strategies to guaranty sustainability of the intervention at the end of the project
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in in Environmental Health/Public Health
Essential Professional Background:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in WASH programming, particularly in sanitation and hygiene
- Understanding behavior change and health promotion methods
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
– Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
– Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
To apply for this job please visit cusointl.org.