Website City of Hamilton
Infrastructure Data Technologist
Permanent, full-time opportunity with Hamilton Water in Hamilton, ON
If you’re a data specialist, both competent in GIS, spreadsheet and database applications and experienced in design or planning related to municipal infrastructure systems for water supply, wastewater collection, and/or stormwater conveyance, the City of Hamilton has a place for you.
Working under the direction of Senior Project Managers, you’ll support the System Planning team’s work processes for the tracking and analysis of available capacity of water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure, along with reviewing, and commenting on, proposed development and changes to City infrastructure. This will include participating in, and contributing to, work efficiency and process optimization reviews for Continuous Improvement.
As an Infrastructure Data Technologist, you’ll not only develop and employ database, spreadsheet and Geographical Information System (GIS) tools to track, analyze and file incoming and outgoing data and documents, but also occasionally carry out field work such as sampling and inspections to support ongoing water resources-related projects.
Infrastructure Data Technologist
Your qualifications as an Infrastructure Data Technologist include:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the duties described above, normally acquired through a combination of relevant work-related experience and a community college diploma (Civil Engineering Technology, Geographic Information Systems, Data/Information Management, or a related field of study).
- Previous design or planning experience related to municipal infrastructure systems for water supply, and/or wastewater collection, and/or stormwater conveyance.
- Functional competency in GIS (e.g. Esri ArcGIS or GeoMedia), spreadsheet apps (e.g. MS Excel), and database apps (e.g. MS Access).
- Competency with word-processing apps (e.g. MS Word) and Microsoft SQL, an asset.
Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to perform well both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to perform physical field work, including carrying/installing instrumentation and water samples.
- Knowledge and working experience related to Ontario Planning Act approvals and related municipal procedures and guidelines, particularly City of Hamilton planning approvals procedures, an asset.
- Knowledge of Ontario regulations and guidelines relevant to municipal infrastructure and water resources, an asset.
- Knowledge of water hydraulic engineering, and/or hydrology, and/or hydrogeology, an asset.
NOTE: As a condition of employment, the successful applicant(s) will be required to obtain a satisfactory Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (formerly Police Information Check), at their own expense, prior to beginning work in this position.
This CUPE Local 5167 permanent, full-time position offers a wage range of $37.666 to $42.802 per hour (based on a 35-hour work week schedule).
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities – home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged, empowered employees. Help us #BeTheReason the entire country is talking about Hamilton, and achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on this Infrastructure Data Technologist position, JOB ID #15053, and to apply online, by Wednesday, November 20, 2019.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit hreapp.hamilton.ca.