Website Capital Regional District
Status: Regular Full time
Hours of Work: 70 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay: $37.67 to $42.72 per hour (2022 rates); $39.18 to $44.43 per hour (2023 rates)
Review of applications begins: Open to filled
This position is responsible for the collection, organization, analysis, maintenance and presentation of spatial information and related databases. The position conducts GIS analyses and produces mapping products in support of the Regional Parks programs.
GIS Technologist Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains Regional Park spatial databases, including data acquisition, verification, and maintenance, within an integrated departmental and enterprise GIS system.
- Compiles, organizes, documents and checks the spatial and attribute data contained in the Regional Park and enterprise GIS system and ensures data integrity is maintained.
- Performs ongoing spatial data quality assessment and assurance checks.
- Designs and produces public facing cartographic mapping products.
- Conducts complex spatial queries and analyses to produce summaries, charts, graphs, factsheets, and maps for use in park management plans, strategic documents, staff reports, technical reports, presentations, and workshops.
- Assists with the development of Regional Park cartographic mapping standards, data standards, and quality control requirements.
- Automates processes using computer programming code, scripts, tools, and batch processing methods.
- Uses custom GIS scripts in support of park planning, operations, and ecological stewardship programs.
- Assists with identifying new mobile GIS techniques for use by field staff and updates data collection processes.
- Applies field survey data collection standards for ecological, infrastructure, and operational inventory projects.
- Collects and processes spatial data with mapping grade GPS and integrates collected data with GIS and AutoCAD files.
- Assists with the training of Regional Park staff on GPS data collection processes and the use of web based mapping applications.
- Performs other GIS, data management, spatial analyses, mapping, and related technical work as assigned.
- Works collaboratively to ensure corporate IT and GIS standards are followed.
- Coordinates the maintenance of the large-format plotter in accordance with CRD policy.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD.
- Performs other related duties as required.
GIS Technologist Qualifications
- Degree in geography, environmental science, resource management, or related discipline with emphasis on and specific course work in GIS or an advanced diploma in GIS and data management or the equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years’ related GIS analysis, coding, and data management experience.
- Experience designing, navigating, querying, analysing, and managing data within enterprise relational databases.
- Experience developing and using scripts for spatial data quality control, analyses, and assessments.
- Experience using mobile mapping applications, GPS tools, and web based spatial data collection tools
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Advanced level knowledge and skills with GIS software, especially the ESRI ArcGIS Pro platform.
- Demonstrated understanding of the concepts of data quality, accuracy and precision, specifically in relation to the management and manipulation of complex spatial data.
- Demonstrated application of geographical information system concepts, modelling, and analyses at an advanced level.
- Advanced skills and demonstrated experience with database software (MS Access), SQL querying, spreadsheet (MS Excel), graphic packages (Power Point, Adobe), and word processing software (MS Word).
- Understanding of AutoCAD software and basic design principles.
- Ability to effectively communicate highly technical information to a non-technical audience in a clear and concise manner.
- Some knowledge of recreational park operations and planning practices and principles.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills showing a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, identify and solve problems and prioritize work.
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s Licence
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
To keep our employees, customers and the communities we serve safe, the CRD has introduced an employee vaccination policy intended to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. As such, the CRD requires verification of your COVID-19 vaccination status as a condition of employment.
To apply for this job please visit www.crd.bc.ca.