Business Systems Analyst
This is a term position for up to twelve (12) months.
In an environment that supports continuous improvement and under the supervision of a Manager, the Business Systems Analyst will provide liaison with Information Systems for Department operations. They will participate in developing short and long range plans for their business systems and work processes and technologies. They will coordinate system testing and develop reports of the Department’s data, as well as take a lead role in developing and support Department specific solutions.
As a member of the branch management group, this employee will participate in the development of effective administrative processes, the setting of branch goals and objectives and the development of annual work plans for the branch.
Typical duties include:
- Utilizing geospatial technology including Autodesk products, ArcGIS Server and desktop, geodatabases structure.
- Participates in researching, evaluating and implementing software and systems solutions.
- Provides technical and analytical expertise relating to the implementation and maintenance of computer technologies.
- Analyzes business area work processes and identifies opportunities to improve those processes.
- Assists with the integration of various systems and related processes.
- Analyzes, designs, develops and implements enhancements to existing departmental systems as required, using corporate standard desktop development tools.
- Coordinates user testing of new application releases, upgrades, enhancements, etc. Assists in the development of test plans and provides guidance to the users during the execution of those test plans. Evaluates test results and communicates the impact of the test results to Information Services department.
- Develops and presents training programs related to work systems and processes to various levels of departmental staff.
- Develops or assists with the development of reports and canned or ad hoc queries using corporate standard reporting tools.
- Assists departmental staff in the effective use of their systems and processes by formal/informal training and advisory/consulting services.
- Ensures that corporate standards are maintained and adhered to on projects for which this employee is responsible.
- Creates and maintains documentation of geospatial systems and work flow processes.
- Consults with departmental staff to determine the day-to-day maintenance needs of their systems.
- Acts as liaison between the departmental staff and the Information Technology Services Department. Effectively disseminates information between the two groups and is the contact for day to day operational issues or problems.
- Maintains current knowledge of technological advancements as they pertain to business systems and work processes in the Department.
- Develops time-lines and budgets for projects, monitors project time-lines and reports status to the Manager.
- Prepares reports, letters or other documents as required.
- Participates as a member of the branch management group to develop effective administrative processes for the Department.
- Participates as a member of the branch management group to develop division goals and objectives.
- Participates as a member of the branch management group to develop annual work plans for the branch.
- Follows all rules and regulations as set out in the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual.
- Performs related duties as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- A university degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or other related discipline.
- Two (2) to three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in analytical and operational aspects of business systems and workflow processes including demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of new technologies and software solutions. Experience with municipal infrastructure operations would be an asset.
Knowledge of the following is required:
- Knowledge of systems development processes.
- Knowledge of analysis and design techniques and methodologies.
- Considerable knowledge of information reporting techniques and concepts.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles, especially as related to cost accounting.
- Knowledge of the principles of computers and computer programming.
- Knowledge of computer software and hardware.
- Ability to plan and schedule tasks and work within deadlines.
- Ability to work with and use project management techniques, practices and software.
- Ability to instruct and train staff on new processes, procedures, software and hardware.
- Ability to express ideas effectively in oral and written form with particular emphasis being placed on the ability to prepare policies and procedures and to communicate orally to group audiences.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff at various levels of the organization.
- High degree of skill in using ad hoc query and reporting tools to create effective reports and presentations of data in text and graphical formats.
- Skill in database design and development (especially in job-costing or maintenance management database systems) including analyzing management information reports.
- Applicants with demonstrated experience working in large scale Enterprise Geospatial implementation projects with multiple interfaces to key enterprise system and who have experience with, scripting and automation tools to geo-enable large amounts of data from multiple sources, using ETL tools like FME are considered an asset.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license or the means and ability to travel within the City of Regina.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
*Note: In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Division: City Planning & Community Development
Department: Sustainable Infrastructure
Salary Grade: CMM – Salary Grade 3
Salary: $30.68-$38.47/Hour; $58,495-$73,347/Annum
Closing Date: Open until filled
For more information and to apply, please visit http://regina.hgcareers.com/js
To apply for this job please visit regina.hgcareers.com.